Hallmark Electrics Logo


City & Guilds/ NVQ Level 3

In order to qualify for assessment for City & Guilds 2356 - NVQ level 3, the candidate must hold:

  • City & Guilds 2360 Parts 1 & 2 or
  • City & Guilds 2351 or
  • C & G 2330 level 3

The qualification is usually taken over a two year period whilst working within the industry and involves ongoing assessments of the work undertaken and site visits throughout. The candidate is required to undertake projects in the electrical industry as part of their day to day work.

On-site assessment is a requirement for the work-based portfolio of evidence, so the NVQ cannot be achieved without having gained on-the-job experience, undertaking commercial or industrial work in employment with a qualified electrical installer.

Hallmark Electrics are proud to promote the professionalism of their electricians and gaining the City & Guilds NVQ level 3 is a must for all Hallmark Electrics electricians.


Hallmark Electrics are registered as TrustMark Approved Contractors, this offers the customer increased protection and ease of mind. You can trust in TrustMark...

How do I know a tradesman is trustworthy?

If a firm is TrustMark registered, it is working to a code of practice set down by an approved Scheme Operator and standards that give you greater confidence and protection.

What standards of workmanship can I expect?

TrustMark registered firms are checked and monitored against recognised British, international or industry standards. We aim to ensure you receive a good standard of workmanship and that any complaint will be treated fairly if there is a problem.

How do I know the firm is financially sound?

A tradesman's/firm's trading record and financial position is checked when they first join the scheme. But such checks can never guarantee a firm will not hit financial difficulties - that's why we insist all registered firms offer you the opportunity to buy a warranty giving you some increased protection if the firm should go out of business.

Who checks up on these tradesmen?

TrustMark's approved Scheme Operators (which include trade associations, local authorities / Trading Standards, certification inspection schemes and commercial organisations) check the performance of their registered firms.

So who checks up on the approved Scheme Operators?

The TrustMark team monitors approved Scheme Operators on behalf of the TrustMark Board. The Board reviews each approved scheme operator's performance, taking into account an independent assessment of the quality of their work, how they handle complaints, and so on.

See our entry on the Trustmark Register - Visit >>


Part P Competent Person Schemes like ELECSA were introduced at the same time as Part P to permit firms that had been assessed as sufficiently competent, to self-certify that their work complies with all applicable requirements of the Building Regulations.

Self-certification benefits the householder because by using a Competent Person they don't have to pay building control fees or submit a building notice. In addition, householders have the important reassurance that by using a Competent Person, they are using a firm that has been independently assessed and certified as competent to carry out the work.

In addition, all authorised Competent Persons schemes are required to give the customers of their registered installer firms the opportunity to purchase an insurance backed warranty against the risk that the work carried out does not comply with the Building Regulations.

For the firm registered with a competent person scheme such as ELECSA, notifying the work to building control is done through their scheme provider. The contractor provides the details of the work done to the scheme provider who then notifies the local building control department and issues a building compliance certificate to the householder.

Part P
In January 2005, Part P of the Building Regulations came into force. These regulations introduced safety standards to electrical installations within domestic properties.

This means that, with few exceptions, any electrical work undertaken in your home such as the addition of a new electrical circuit or any work in your kitchen, bathroom or garden area must be notified to the Local Authority Building Control for inspection.

The Building Regulations are managed by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). Part P is an amendment of the Building Regulations introduced by the government, effective from January 1st 2005.

The Part P requirement is that "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

In short, electrical installations must be safe! Part P applies to fixed electrical installations in dwellings (including gardens and shared amenities in blocks of flats) and affects many of the typical jobs undertaken by electrical contractors, particularly work carried out in kitchens and bathrooms.

Work affected by Part P is subject to notification to, and inspection by, building control bodies. However, calling in a building control officer takes time and costs money. The solution to this problem is self-certification.

BS761: 2008 (17th Edition)

BS 7671: 2008 (17th Edition) (The IEE Wiring Regulations) are the national standard to which all domestic and industrial wiring must conform. The 17th edition is the latest edition of BS7671.

The electrician must pass an exam known as the City & Guilds 2382 and is a level 3 exam set by the City & Guilds before being issued with their certificate which will prove substantial knowledge of BS7671.

The exam consists of a selection of questions from BS7671: 2008 and upon successful completion of the 2382 exam the candidate will have knowledge of the following sections:

  • Contents of BS7671
  • Principles, Object and Scope of the Regulations
  • Definitions and Terminology
  • Assessment of the General Characteristics of the Installation
  • Requirements for Overcurrent Protection, Cable Sizing and Voltage Drop
  • Requirements for Isolation and Switching
  • Earthing, Bonding and Shock Protection
  • Selection and Erection of Equipment
  • Requirements for Inspection and Testing
  • Special Installations or Locations

EAL Level 2 Cert for Domestic Electrical Installers

The E.A.L. Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers - Part P - is a nationally recognised qualification consisting of the following units all with practical assessments and exams:

  • Applicable Building Regulations
  • Electrical Safety Legislation, Regulations Standards and Terminology.
  • Domestic Electrical Circuit Installation
  • Installing Domestic Lighting Circuits
  • Domestic Electrical Earthing and Bonding Requirements
  • Inspecting, Testing and Commissioning Single Phase Domestic Electrical Circuits
  • Special Locations and Installations including Kitchens
  • Domestic Electrical Installation Pre-Work Survey/Inspection
  • Basic 3 Phase

Each exam and assessment must be passed before moving on to the next.
Successful completion and pass of the EAL exams and assessments proves the certificate holder a competent person and allows them to meet the criteria that will allow them to apply to join a competent person scheme under part P.


Print this page
Send to a friend


Hallmark Electrics - Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.

Elecsa Home TrustMark